CHILDREN and FAMILIES of THE BURLINGTON ACADEMY
Faculty and Staff
- · Our Teachers are passionate, committed, experienced and many hold Associates, Bachelors and/or Masters Degrees in the field of Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education,
Psychology, Child Studies and/or Child Development. Many are CT State Dept. of Education certified and have received their Head Teacher designation from the State of Connecticut Department of
- · Five administrators work hard to support our programs, our teachers, and needs of parents. They also have a significant presence and involvement in the children's
- · ALL Infant, Toddler and Twos staff are CPR, First Aid, Epi-pen and medication certified. All Head Teachers and all full time faculty and staff are CPR, First Aid, Epi-pen and medication
- · We are a "Nut and Candy-Free" school offering a safe environment for all children with any allergies. We partner with parents to customize the environment for their child,
giving the peace of mind needed to insure their child with allergies is always safe and enjoys a positive expereince.
- · Our curriculum for all Jr. Academy programs (Infant, Toddler, Twos) is
based on current State of CT Infant and Toddler Guidelines and CTELDS, CT Early Learning Developmental
Standards. Our curriculum for all 3 Year Old Nursery School through School-Age programs is based on the State of CT Department of Education Common Core Standards.
- · Curriculum enrichment offered: Music, Spanish, Sign Language, Yoga, "Partners in Literacy and Numeracy", Character Education, Composer of the Month, Artist of the Month,
"Handwriting Without Tears" Program, Second Step curriculum, Science, Computers, Cooking, special visitors & field trips.
- · Our 3 year old Nursery School, PreKindergarten, Junior Kindergarten students visit Senora Analia's class weekly for Spanish Class.
- · Our Full Day Monday-Friday 3 Year Old Nursery School and PreKindergarten students, as well as all Jr. Kindergarten and Kindergarten students receive Sign Language
- · We have a vegetable garden which is planted, weeded, watered, tended to and harvested by the children! The children hold a Farmer's Market in the Summer
- · Half-day classes are 3 hours in length with options for our Before School Program, Lunch Bunch(additional hour) or After School Program as needed or
- · The school year runs from the beginning of September through mid-June, culminating in special Graduation ceremonies.
The Academy does not close for snow days or have late
The Academy is open 6:30am to 6:30pm year-round (and offers
Before School, Lunch Bunch and After School Programs regularly or on an "as needed" basis for parent convenience).
The Academy allows a child to attend on a day which is not
their normally scheduled school day due to extenuating circumstances.
- · Class size for our programs is tailored to provide the best possible experience depending on the individual children who make up the group. Additional staff, above and beyond
the classroom teachers, are always available to lend an extra pair of hands as needed and support our teachers and children. Our 3 Year Old Nursery School is a maximum of 14 in a class with two
teachers, PreKindergarten is 16 with two teachers and Jr. Kindergarten/Kindergaten is 10 with one teacher. Our Infant, Toddler Two's Programs are all 8 maximum with two teachers and much additional
assistance as needed!
The Academy offers a fun Summer Program for the Jr. Academy and an exciting, adventure-packed Summer Camp for 3 Year Olds through 6th Graders, half or full day, with
The Academy offers fun and exciting theme-based holiday and
- · Ten
classrooms in three buildings, two large playgrounds and a 6 acre campus offer a variety of learning environments.
- · Our classrooms are bright, sunny environments with lots of windows for fresh air!
- · We have over-sized outdoor playgrounds featuring swings, slides, rock walls, climbers, sandboxes, picnic tables, ride-on toys and much more, as well as fields for large
games and areas for nature walks and hiking adventures. Our playground equipment is IPEMA certified and we have 8 inches of IPEMA certified mulch playground surfacing under
- · Parents benefit from increased communication and have easy access to all school information and photos of their child during their school day, through LifeCubby - an
online communciation portal!
- · Parents may text Head Teachers in the Jr. Academy (Infant, Toddlers, Twos)
during the day to partner with teachers and caregivers in providing the best care for their children. Head Teachers may send photos and/or videos as desired by parents.
- · Our School Administrator and Head of School works individually with parents who may benefit from counseling and/or support of unique family or child developmental situations.
We offer educational and behavioral consultation as needed.
- · "Coffee and Chat" events are held periodically for parents in each level, offering an opportunity to meet other parents, as well as speak casually with the School
Administrator and/or Head of School.
- · Teachers do ongoing observations to guide weekly "Learning Experiences". They also do individual child assessments and conduct conferences twice a year or as needed or
desired by parents. Evaluations are given to parents in November and May.
- · Children with additional service needs are welcomed, and we coordinate with parents and professional services to help find appropriate resources based on the individual
student's need(s). Professionals provide Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy and Speech & Language services within the classroom. The Talcott Center for Child
Development is located in one of our buildings, therefore convenient for needed services.
- · Children do not need to be toilet trained; we partner with parents to assist children through this process.
- · Parent/Grandparent Committees, Parent/Grandparent Coordinators and a Parent/Grandparent Helper Program are available on a volunteer basis affording parents and grandparents
the opportunity to be involved in their child's/grandchild's education.